1-4 lbs. moose roast - can use elk or venison as well
3-4 strips bacon
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. dry mustard
4 tbsp. brown sugar
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 tbsp. chopped onions
3 tbsp. flour
1 cup cranberry juice
1 cup milk
- Remove fat from roast and wipe well with clean cloth.
- Lard the roast as follows—cut bacon into 2" strips, pierce the roast with a sharp knife at 2 " interval and insert
bacon into holes - place roast into glass or earthenware bowl .
- Mix the following ingredients and pour over roast.
- Cover and marinate roast for 24 to 48 hours in the refrigerator.
- Turn roast often if marinate does not cover completely.
- Marinate: salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, mustard, brown sugar, water and vinegar—remove roast from marinate and place in covered roaster at 350° degrees
for approximately 1 hour.
- Add onion flakes, cranberry juice and continue cooking roast until tender, approximately 1 more hour.
When cooked, remove from pan to hot platter.
- Add flour to pan dripping and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add milk, stirring constantly until gravy is desired thickness.
* Taken from Northern Cookbook by Eleanor A. Ellis
This recipe sent in by Brie
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil 30 ml
1 1/2 lb. boneless moose sirloin 750 g
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 c soy sauce
3 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. chicken broth
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
3/4 c thinly sliced celery
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1- 8 fl oz. (227ml) tin sliced bamboo shoots, drained
3/4 c. sliced green onions
1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger root
1 Tbsp. cornstarch, mixed with 2 Tbsp/30 ml chicken broth or water
Heat oil in a large heavy skillet until very hot.
Slice meat diagonally into strips, brown
in batches in the hot oil. Blend together garlic, soy sauce, sugar and chicken broth; add half to meat in skillet, reduce heat to medium.
Add onion, green bell pepper, celery and mushrooms, cover; reduce heat again and simmer 10 minutes.
Add remaining soy mixture to pan, together ,with the bamboo shoot slices. simmer uncovered , 4-5
minutes. Add green onion, simmer 1 minute. Add grated ginger and cornstarch mixture.
Stir and cook until sauce thickens slightly.
Makes up to 10 pounds of meat.